Several of you contacted me letting me know that you were interested in just what was in Granny Mac’s sewing machine.
Above is the machine sitting in my foyer. As you can see the top right drawer is slightly open. This is because when I opened it the other day it was too full to close easily, so I left it.
The nest 2 pics show what was in the top right drawer alone. LOTS of needles, some ric rac, an old machine belt, bandaids, a christmas light bulb, mini sewing kit, some pinking shears that will NEVER open again, and a bag of marbles.
Next is the top left drawer. This was the thread drawer apparently. I found some toe nail clippers (eww) more needles, and LOTS of thread.
The cutest little tape measure ever
The bottom right drawer held all of the attachments along with a pin cushion, etc. There is also a pieceof elastic. I don’t think I’ll be using this as it is probably so dry rotted that the garment would fall off and leave you standin in your drawers.
The button drawer…lots of buttons!
The manual was also found. Its a Model R40. I looked it up and found a date of 1949. That date doesn’t fit well with this machine as Daddy Mac was married in 1947 and He would not have been the “young buck” that he describes when he broke the handle.
I will have to research this further.
Mama- Mac told me what that crocheted button thingy was used for. They saved coke bottle tops, crocheted over them, and then crocheted them together to form placemats and trivets. Now ya know.
The smell of the stuff in the machine is not pictured. You can thank me for that later. Granny Mac has been dead over 30 years so anything that has been closed up for that long deserves to smell a little musty.
There you have it…
I promise the next post will have pics of the girls and maybe one of Jeff, too, if you're lucky.





2 comments:
AUNT C. SAID. I ENJOYED JENNA AND YOUR MOM TODAY. JENNA AND I PLAYED PING PONG, WAR AND GO FISH. WE ATE AT CAPTAIN D'S. WE TALKED ABOUT BABY JADE. KEEP BLOGGING...LOVE YALL!!
I can pick the girls up after my run on sat AM. Just let me know...Good luck with your class! love you, c
Post a Comment