CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Down Home Afternoon

Before I forget, head over to http://shabbynest.blogspot.com/ to check out the giveaway. I REALLY want to win the family circle necklace!

Jenna has been begging to go to our neighbors’ (cousins) farm to feed the calves. For you non- country folk, to feed a calve requires a large baby bottle type thing. You actually put a type of calf formula in it and then you feed just as you would a baby.

It’s sad that Jenna had never done this seeing that my family has been in the dairy business for close to 2 centuries. (give or take) My dad and his brother closed our dairy in 2000. Jenna wasn’t born until 2002, so while we still live on the farm, she has missed out on all of the dairy stuff that the rest of us grew up with as the norm.

We ran into Tyler (cousin whose dad still milks) while we were out riding the Polaris on the farm. Tyler and his brother, Gregory took us to the barn and let Jenna feed the calves. I felt like a tourist taking pics of such a common thing, but it was a big deal for Jenna.     DSC_3845 DSC_3838

Jenna pet this 2 day old calf.

DSC_3837

Jenna was surprised at this calf. This was this calf’s last bottle – EVER. It is officially weaned after this bottle.

 DSC_3840 DSC_3841 DSC_3842 DSC_3843 DSC_3844

Jenna fed 2 calves. The flies and the smell were not captured in the pics.

Like the new top on the Polaris?

DSC_3839

I’m sure Gregory (going to high school this year) LOVES being pictured on the Internet in gym shorts and boots! Tyler, on the other hand, probably really digs this!

To wrap up the down home night we came home and made a Down home dinner. We had sliced tomatoes (grown by me and plants bought from Tyler (garden club)) , zipper peas- put up by ME, Corn (grown locally- Daddy got some for me), and cubed steak (venison- killed by Jeff.) There was not a single processed or mass produced item on our plates. That’s rare!

Hope (cousin) said that she has had trouble posting comments to my blog. I researched this and found that I had something clicked incorrectly. It’s fixed now so if you want to leave me a comment, just click on “comment” below each post. Just know that whatever you type can be read by everyone else. For example: Hope, don’t speak ugly about Aunt Carol, because she might see it. Just kidding- I know you would never and that’s why I used you as an example. Now I am feeling a little better because I have hundreds of hits on my blog from all over the world, but no one has ever commented. I was getting my feelings hurt. At least now I can blame it on the blog and not on my crappy writing. Now, if i still don’t get any comments, I will definitely take it personally.

I have had more interest in the sewing machines than I would have ever dreamed. In fact, I told Jeff that the sewing machines have drawn more interest than the posts about our children. What does that say?

I will try to clean out Granny Mac’s machine later today. I will take pictures and post later. I never dreamed you guys would be interested.

I will leave you with more of Jenna’s photography.

DSC_3834

DSC_3835

DSC_3833

Check out Jade’s dress…..ignore Jeff wallowing in the floor in the background. :)

3 comments:

c said...

I'm so glad you got this fixed--I thought the problem was my crappy computer. I love Jade's dresses. I knew you could do a great job with those. Last year a friend of mine had some adorable Christmas dresses and nightgowns using this same pattern for her little girl. Love, love, love you and your blog, c

Hope said...

Ok, so this story brought back wonderful memories and made me sad at the same time. Though I'm glad Dad doesn't have to work so hard anymore, I absolutely miss the "real" farm with all my heart. I'll never forget feeding all the calves, picking up eggs, watching the eggs in the incubator, getting up the cows in the early morning or the way the feed smelled. I'm glad Jenna had the opportunity to experience what we did. Though I know Jan hated it, most of all, I miss the milk. For those of you who ever get to drink true "whole" milk, perhaps you'll understand that what they sell in the store is nothing. Farm milk is so sweet (and fattening), but I miss it.

Thanks Jan for the memories.

Hope

Anonymous said...

hi, love yall. testing to see if i can send this...aunt c