It’s again DIY day at A Soft PLace to Land. Today my entry is homemade laundry detergent.
This has saved me well over a hundred dollars in the last 9 months. ($100 bucks will get anyone’s attention)
It’s so easy! I researched several recipes before I finally found one that I could adapt for me.
This recipe makes 5 gallons of concentrate which can be made into 10 gallons of detergent. Depending on the consistency, I sometimes just use the concentrate.
What you need:
1 bar Fels Naptha Laundry soap (found in laundry aisle- I get my local pharmacy to order it for me. It’s a whopping $1.11!
1 cup borax
1 cup baking soda
1 cup of Washing Soda. Arm and Hammer makes this, but I have not found it. It’s sodium carbonate. I found out its the same as PH+ that we use in the pool, so I just head out to the shed for a cup full. (called soda ash)
5 gallon bucket and lid- bought mine at lowes
Directions: Grate the Fels Naptha- the finer the better. I use food processor.
Heat 2 cups of water in pot- add grated soap- stir continuously until FULLY dissolved.
If your soda, borax, or washing soda are lumpy- throw in food processor (not with soap) NEVER add the sodas to the stove mixture- unless you want your husband to have to take your stove door apart to clean it all out. It’s a mess!
fill bucket half full of VERY hot water- you can heat on stove if you want. Add dissolved soap mixture- add dry ingredients- stir
fill bucket to top with more hot water.
stir.
let sit overnight with lid on- in the morning you are ready to wash.
The color will be yellowish. The consistency varies and I don’t know why. Sometimes its liquidy (almost watery) and sometimes its a solid gel. Either way works fine. If its gel, mix with equal parts water and shake.
If you like a stronger smell add some regular detergent. We add some whenever we find a good sale. a little store bought goes a LONG way.
We fill this pretty blue pitcher with our detergent and wash away. It removes all stains and I am convinced that we are wearing clean clothes.
I make a 5 gallon bucket every 3 months or so. I share with another family and we wash a LOT of clothes. I even use this on the baby clothes. My daughter is VERY sensitive to EVERYTHINg and she has no problems from it. The recipe takes less than 30 minutes from start to clean up.
I keep a long whisk down in the bucket to stir it when I refill the blue pitcher. I have found that the best way to fill the pitcher is with an old laundry detergent bottle. (small one) You can always just refill any old detergent bottle, but we like the pretty one.





9 comments:
I am trying to cut corners in spending so this is a great tip. Thanks for sharing!
GREAT idea. I have thought about trying making my own. Have you ever checke dout Southern Savers blog--great money saving tips on grpceries. I've cut our grocery spending down a LOT.
I started a new KNOCK OFF KNOCK OUT party and I bet you have some things to put in the party-it's every Monday. I would love to have you submit this idea next Monday. I hope you come over and become a follower and subscribe and I will do the same.
Cheri
Its So Very Cheri
I love this! I've been making powdered detergent-just grating the soap and mixing in the other stuff. It's amazing how much cleaner things seem now, and how much more is in my wallet! That's the fun part!
I can't wait to try this..Thanks for the wonderful tip..This is a great Idea!
I'm adding this to a post at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com
Ah I LOVE my homemade laundry soap. It is fantastic. Have you ever tried using a Zote bar instead of Fels Naptha? Yeah...don't. Zote stinks lol.
I won't go back to store-bought detergent, and I used to even get it pretty cheap. Not happenin! I gave a bucket and all the ingredients to my brother for Christmas & he was thrilled. He's now hooked too.
You can also make homemade dishwasher soap using the same Borax & Washing Soda. (Not sure about the soda ash though). Just mix equal parts of each & use 1-2 Tbsp per load of dishes. Also, vinegar in the rinse-aid dispenser prevents spots on your dishes.
[u][b]Xrumer[/b][/u]
[b]Xrumer SEO Professionals
As Xrumer experts, we secure been using [url=http://www.xrumer-seo.com]Xrumer[/url] fitted a wish immediately for the time being and know how to harness the enormous power of Xrumer and build it into a Cash machine.
We also yield the cheapest prices on the market. Numberless competitors see fit expect 2x or square 3x and a end of the time 5x what we responsibility you. But we feel in providing prominent help at a low affordable rate. The large incidental of purchasing Xrumer blasts is because it is a cheaper alternative to buying Xrumer. So we focusing to stifle that contemplating in mind and provide you with the cheapest grade possible.
Not solitary do we have the greatest prices but our turnaround heyday for your Xrumer posting is wonderful fast. We will secure your posting done before you certain it.
We also produce you with a roundish log of affluent posts on different forums. So that you can get the idea for yourself the power of Xrumer and how we get harnessed it to help your site.[/b]
[b]Search Engine Optimization
Using Xrumer you can wish to realize thousands upon thousands of backlinks exchange for your site. Many of the forums that your Site you intent be posted on have great PageRank. Having your link on these sites can deep down mitigate establish up some crown quality back links and uncommonly riding-boot your Alexa Rating and Google PageRank rating via the roof.
This is making your put more and more popular. And with this inflate in regard as familiarly as PageRank you can expect to lead your place definitely rank high-pitched in those Search Locomotive Results.
Transport
The amount of transportation that can be obtained aside harnessing the power of Xrumer is enormous. You are publishing your locality to tens of thousands of forums. With our higher packages you may even be publishing your position to HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of forums. Visualize 1 post on a in demand forum disposition by enter 1000 or so views, with communicate 100 of those people visiting your site. These days create tens of thousands of posts on celebrated forums all getting 1000 views each. Your see trade liking associate through the roof.
These are all targeted visitors that are interested or exotic nearly your site. Deem how assorted sales or leads you can succeed in with this considerable loads of targeted visitors. You are in fact stumbling upon a goldmine bright to be picked and profited from.
Retain, Shipping is Money.
[/b]
TRAVERSE B RECOVER YOUR INFERIOR DEFAME TODAY:
http://www.xrumer-seo.com
Someone deleted a variety of links from uloz.to and hotfile servers.
From now, we will use www.tinyurlalternative.com as our default [url=http://www.tinyurlalternative.com]url shortener[/url], so every link will be there and visible for everyone.
You can choose from many great [url=http://kfc.ms]short url[/url] address like:
kfc.ms easysharelink.info jumpme.info megauploadlink.info megavideolink.info mygamelink.info myrapidsharelink.info mytorrentlink.info myurlshortener.com mywarezlink.info urlredirect.info urlshrinker.info weblinkshortener.com youtubelink.info and many others.
They maintain over 60 other available domains and the [url=http://myurlshortener.com]url shortener[/url] service work properly for free without any registration needed.
So we think it is good notion and propose you to use [url=http://urlredirect.info]url redirect[/url] service too!
Thank you.
Hey, obviously I'm finding this post years after you originally posted it :).
Are you still using this laundry detergent? Have you made any improvements? And how much do you use for a normal/largish load?
I made some last night and am really excited to try it out! Thanks :)
Post a Comment