According to Wikipedia:
Eatonton is a city in Putnam County, Georgia, United States. The population was 6,764 at the 2000 census. The city is the county seat of Putnam County[3]. It was named after William Eaton, an officer and diplomat involved in the First Barbary War. The name consists of his surname with the English suffix "ton", meaning "town".
This is my town…Eatonton, Georgia. I was born and raised here and have chosen to raise my girls here. My small town is home to some big things..just read on.
If you go to our Chamber of Commerce you will see that we are the home of Joel Chandler Harris. (He’s the guy who wrote the Uncle Remus stories that you may be familiar with from Disney.) I don’t know of any awards that this guy wrote, but having Disney pick up your goods is not a bad deal.
We are also the birthplace and home of Alice Walker. She wrote The Color Purple and won the Pulitzer Prize (Which I thought was a Pulit Surprise for a LONG time!)

Then, in 2008, we became the home of a Gold Medalist. Vincent Hancock, of Eatonton, brought home the gold from Beijing in skeet shooting. (I have a pic of Vinnie holding Jade when she was just a few weeks old. He laid the Gold Medal on her chest. I thought it was neat because the Beijing medals were inlayed with Jade. Vinnie and his wife were smitten with Jade. Apparently, they both love babies and she is a NICU nurse.)
(are you keeping up? That’s a Disney movie, Pulitzer Prize, Olympic Gold Medal….and
as of last night, Eatonton has a Grammy winner. Zac Brown Band won the Grammy for Best New Artist. If you are from Eatonton you may have a hard time calling Zac “new”. Ok, so Zac grew up in Dahlonega, GA and will often refer to Atlanta as home, but if you read his My Space page you will see that he calls Eatonton home. He owns a home here and started his career here at his restaurant, Zac’s Place. Jeff and I knew Zac well before he started touring.
Ben Roethlisberger also owns a home here, but that’s just because he loves golf and we happen to have cool golf courses. BUT, he is a NFL Super Bowl winning quarterback. From the above statistics, it’s no wonder he chose to come here and live among the “greats”!
Eatonton:
Disney Movie inspiring author
Pulitzer Prize
Olympic Gold Medal
Grammy
Winning Super Bowl Quarterback
Wow, that’s impressive for such a small town!
An then there’s always these wonderful girls….
Not bad for a city with less than 10k people. (Ok, so the county has a few more people, but who cares.)
Why would anybody move away, say to Oregon, when you could live here. Beats me!





4 comments:
Sounds like you've got it all figured out. Eatonton is a great place to live, close enough to large cities for us to visit but far enough away that we can escape back to our quiet little town when we wish. Can't imagine what Oregon may have that we done, exept maybe SNOW!
Great summary of Eatonton, I will have to remember all that for future reference! I do so remember Zac's place on Lake Oconee years ago, we use to go visit that place and loved to hear him play! Those were the good ole days, who knew he would be famous oneday!
KIm
Wow, I use to think that if somebody moved to Eatonton that did not have family already there, that they must be running from the law. I won't think like that anymore! Thanks for the wake up call. The best thing about Eatonton would be Jade and Jenna!!
LOL AC
Well, Oregon has it all, except for family that we miss so much ;-(
Love,
Caroline XXX
Post a Comment