CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, October 18, 2009

It’s Beginning to Look a LOT Like Christmas

We did not go to church today because Jeff wanted to stay home and it’s pointless for me to go with the girls by myself. Jade always has to go to the back and that means I have to stay with her.

DSC_5437   DSC_5427   

Around 11:30 Jeff asked me to go shopping and purchase/pick out the girls’ Christmas. I was able to get a few things for them and choose a few items for Santa’s list.

DSC_5417

 

Jeff and I had different backgrounds as far as Santa goes. I grew up in a home where my parents paid Santa to bring ALL of our gifts. Jeff’s parents only paid Santa for 1 big gift and they elected to purchase the rest of the gifts themselves. Both Jeff and I are holding tightly to our home traditions. We have had to compromise and switch years. This is the year that we will only pay Santa for the 1 big gift. Everything else we are responsible for choosing, purchasing, and wrapping. I think my way is better!

 

DSC_5433

I headed to Athens with a tight budget and a list. 7 hours later I was finally home. I was reminded that I rarely go to a mall anymore. I used to go about once a month, but since money has been tight the last couple of years, I don’t go near as often. I buy most things online (started that a good 6-7 years ago) or we shop at individual stores away from the mall.
DSC_5425

I noticed some new things today:

1) Started at Wal- Mart for a few basics. I realized that I needed a pen to complete my shopping list. I am forever needing a pen in my car, so I opted to buy a bag of pens. You know, the cheap Bics for $1. I searched Wal- Mart over and COULD NOT FIND THEM. I had to ask for help to find Bic pens. Guess where they were…..IN THE DIY section. I knew technology had taken over, but has it really gotten so bad that handwriting is considered DIY??? I guess ETSY will have a handwritten goods store soon. (maybe that’s where MY millions will come from!!!)

2) I knew there was a Children’s Place store in this mall and I set out to find it. I almost walked right past it because the front windows were completely decorated with black, grungy clothes. Really, The Children’s Place??!! I was surprised! I did find some cute clothes on the inside (didn’t buy any, Jenna. Don’t get excited.) but was shocked at the window display.

3) I was at a store preparing to check out when I had the most awkward moment. The store was crowded and I had to stand very close to the lady in front of me. She was holding a pair of old shoes in her hands. (I assume she was attempting to purchase a new pair of the same shoes???) I glanced at the shoes at the same time that she happened to turn them over in her hand. She noticed me to looking at them and I saw a SHOCKED look on her face. The bottom of her shoe had poop on them. Yes, she was holding poop covered shoes! Now as embarrassing as this could be, add to the top of it that she saw me looking at it, too. Her eyes got HUGE and she just said, “guess I stepped in something.” What could I say?! I just tried so hard not to laugh in her face. She was obviously as shocked as I was. I looked away only to turn around to see her turn the shoe over and SMELL it.

I swear, I couldn’t make this up!

4) It seems that every store requires your phone # to check out. It’s like Big Brother is tracking my spending. Kinda makes me mad!

DSC_5428

It’s so hard to buy for my children! Jenna is super picky and knows EXACTLY what she wants. Jade has everything and needs nothing. It’s hard to justify spending any of our hard earned and tightly rationed money on her when she needs nothing.

Many of you have asked what the girls want for Christmas. I am going to do a blog post listing what they need/ want and their sizes. Call me before you shop so I can let you know what’s already been bought. Jenna reads my blog so I can’t scratch things off as they get bought. Just let me know before and after you shop so we don’t duplicate. I will link the list under “Favorite Links” on the top left of the blog so that you can find it when you get ready to shop.

DSC_5430

***I know I have a LOT of readers who don’t buy my children Christmas presents. Just ignore the list. :)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, so glad you are in the Christmas spirit. Your Mom has already talked with me about Jenna's gift. Make sure she tells you what I have her! Instead of giving Jade stuff, open a savings account and we can give her money, then when she needs stuff, buy through the account...LOL aunt carol