I am participating in DIY Day at A Soft Place to Land. Scoot over there and check out the rest of the entries. I hope this link takes you to today’s date…if not…you can look for it.
I thought since I’m home with a sick child (Jenna- sinus infection) and I have ALMOST completed my first quilt that it would be a great day to join the DIY party. I hope to participate next week with homemade dishwasher detergent…I’m waiting on the recipe from an unnamed friend (her name rhymes with Fobyn). Her dad (and a LOT of other friends) are using my laundry detergent recipe and everyone seems to love it. I can’t wait to try out the DW detergent. I’m all about saving a dollar.
Now, without further ado, here is Linus, my first quilt. Her colors are mostly pink and brown….on the front.
Sorry for the bad pics…the morning sun was brutal.
You can see the design here….
Here is the back. Its very LOUD, but I really like it and that’s what matters.
I still have to attach the binding to the edges. I hope to do that today while I’m home with Jenna. I am very proud of Linus…she has her imperfections, but I love them, too.
I go to a quilt shop in Watkinsville today with a lady from church. I’m going to get the supplies for my 2nd quilt. The class is this Saturday at The Stitching Barn. If you think you can’t sew, trust me you can. If I can do it, you certainly can. I strongly encourage you (if you are interested) to get to a quilt/ sewing shop and sign up for the classes. They are LOADS of fun and they are really patient with us beginners. Do not be intimidated…not one person has been rude to me, yet. They are very encouraging and helpful. Most towns have some type of shop like this. This can be a VERY expensive hobby, but if you restrain yourself, like I do, it’s not expensive at all. In fact, I can imagine it could be a relaxing form of entertainment on the cheap during these tough economic times. (relatively cheap)
HOpe you enjoy. Leave me a comment and let me know what you think.





15 comments:
Your first quilt turned out GREAT!! I like the browns & pinks together & I like the fun on the back too. I've gotten some quilt fabrics on ebay and I've picked up some old sheets at thrift stores to use too. Hugs, Leslie
Beautiful job. Quilting is definitely addictive, so watch out for that. :)
Your quilt is beautiful! Making a lap quilt or even a table runner has been on my "want to do list" for a few years now. I'll have to check around and see what classes are offered in my area!
Manuela
It's beautiful!
I am so impressed. It turned out beautifully. Great job.
It's beautiful! Is that quilting along the border? You did a really great job, getting all the corners to match up on those little squares can be tricky. Quilting takes A LOT of patience (that I don't have) in my experience. I've only ever completed one quilt and it was for my baby's crib, 5 years ago. I love a handmade quilt though, nice job!
Linus is complete! You did a fine job on the free-motion quilting.
I can't wait to see it in the flesh. love you,c
oh yea, I just thought about something--my Granny who made lots of quilts often used flannel on the backs. Hers were so inviting, soft, and warm especially when i got to sleep with her in her feather bed where the only heat we had was her fire place which quickly died down after we went to bed, each other, and her wonderful quilts. How's that for a comment, c
this is such a beautiful first quilt. you did such an amazing job. i love the quilting and colors.
Congratulations on your first quilt - definitely one to be proud of!
I love, love, love Linus! And you did free-motion quilting, too!! That's awesome for a first quilt.
Best wishes from Germany,
Sandy
(who's currently working on her first quilt)
I love the color combinations! Thanks for sharing!
Great job on your first quilt! Love the colours used and the quilting. Thanks for sharing.
Congratulations! What a beautiful quilt, especially for your first one. I think that you must be a natural!!! Now enjoy it!
Blessings,
KT
Post a Comment