CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Pastitsio with Bechmamel Topping

Yea, I can’t pronounce it either! Before you think you have the wrong blog, this is still Jan and I am still the same non- cooking Jan as before.

Jenna’s gifted class has been studying Greece and the are tasting some Greek food to culminate the unit. I was asked/ volunteered to make a Greek casserole. The name of it was is Pastitsio with Béchamel Topping.

phone 004

(Victoria the elf…covering her Mother Teresa look. ha)

 

I am SO anti- cooking. I have an unspoken rule about anything more than 4-5 ingredients is NOT for me. This recipe had 19 ingredients! 19, folks! The teacher was so kind that she even sent home all of the ingredients.

phone 001

(Jenna the elf!)

 

Further, two more of my kitchen rules were broken. I had to deal with raw beef and onion. I am not sure I have EVER chopped a raw onion. Gross!

phone 003

(Jade in her best Santa gear)

 

The directions called for eggs to be separated. (What?!) It said something like, “sauce should be thicker than gravy, but not as thick as pudding.” LOL, I just knew that would be a FAIL! Actually, it turned out beautifully.

If you want the recipe, I will give it to you. (as in give you my copy, because I will certainly not make it again.) It smells yummy, looks beautiful, and has great ingredients. (minus the beef and onion) It simply breaks to many of my rules to be in the weekly rotation of meals.

Now, to figure out how to get this HUGE pan to Jenna’s classroom tomorrow. It is SOOOO heavy. Looks like I’m gonna pass that on to Nonni.

DSC_4676

 

Look at how big that is! You are literally looking at a pan the size of HALF MY STOVE. It’s 4”deep, too! Heavy, fattening, hot. (It has 3 sticks of butter, a container of parmesan, 2 lbs. of beef, and 2 lbs. of pasta, 4 eggs, and a whole host of other ingredients)

Speaking of Nonni, she gave me a BEAUTIFUL Fossil watch today. We don’t do Christmas gifts with anyone except the kids anymore, but she did it anyway. I can’t wait to start wearing it. Thanks Nonni! Love you!

One last thing….I should probably not blog this, but I can’t resist. I know my family will get a kick out of it. There was a man sitting in front of us at church today. I had gone to the back with the kids, so I missed this, but Jeff said at the end when all stood to pray, the man passed gas….OUT LOUD! I apologize to all around for the way Jeff responded. I don’t know exactly what he did, but I know Jeff, and I know he misbehaved. I think Miss Peggy had to get on to both Jeff and Tim. Oh Dear! Nonni says that’s the first muscle to go. I guess she knows a thing or two about this, but I hope she isn’t the next one to let’er rip during prayer.

0 comments: