I have returned from a wonderful weekend at Mt. Moriah near Augusta, GA. My friends, Charles and Diane sponsored me to attend the Walk to Emmaus #111. The Walk to Emmaus is put on by The Upper Room, which, if you have ever neared a Methodist church, you have seen the Upper Room devotionals. I know the Macs and MaMa/PaPa always had them around the house. It's the same people. There are several denominational walks like this. Emmaus happens to be Methodist, but everything presented while at the walk was non- denominational- Just my style!
Emmaus is formed around the Bible scripture found in Luke 24: 13-35. You can read that story for yourself, but basically two men on the road to Emmaus encountered a man, later revealed to be Jesus, who showed the men His character, rather than telling them who He was. Emmaus is a similar (if anything can be similar to Jesus) event where you are shown the character of Christ by people who have sacrificed to be Christ to you. Many of the people who make your walk special are anonymous. You are placed in small groups for most of the weekend. There are 15 talks presented: 5 by clergy and 10 by a lay person. The feed you well- VERY WELL, the love you, and the teach you.
It is not a secret society, a soroity/ fraternity, or anything that makes you more "special" because you have attended a walk.
There is a new Walk to Emmaus forming at Rock Eagle. I am excited that more people from this area will now be able to attend.
After Jeff went to Emmaus in April, I took pictures of him with Charles and Diane, I took pictures of his gifts and the decorated house. I had PLANS to do that for me....Ugh- DIDN'T HAPPEN! I was SO tired when I got home Sunday night and so overwhelmed. that it just did not happen. I will tell you that it was SO special!
After they came to pick me up, Jeff took me to Red Lobster. Let's just say that I was SO spoiled, that I ALMOST complained that the service was SLOW, but then I remembered that I was in the Real World again and I had to actually WAIT on my food. You do not wait on food, or anything other than an occassional potty, while at Emmaus.
When I got home, Jeff had the house cleaned (like called the maids kinda clean), had my car washed, had the laundry completed, the girls ready for Monday, had the grass mowed. On Monday evening he filled my car with gas and bought me a new hair dryer. Oh, and he cooked dinner Monday and is picking up the girls today and has offered to cook dinner again. (I may cook before he gets home.)
Also at home, Charles and Diane had balloons on the mailbox, a poster on the porch, another poster in the house, 3 study/ encouragement books, 2 crosses, Lord's Prayer plaque, candy, candle, a gift certificate to Mary Kay, and a cedar tree to plant in the yard.
This list is only a sampling of the love that was given to me this weekend. I can't tell you everything just in case you ever get a chance to go. I don't want to spoil it for you. Trust me- If you ever get invited- GO! Don't ask questions, GO!
I did not think that I would know anyone there. That didn't bother me. The week before when Jeff worked in the kitchen for the men's walk, he told me that a friend of ours was there. That indicated to me that his wife would be on my walk...and she was. I was glad she was there. Turns out that one of the table leaders is from my town and has girls around Jenna's age. Her mother in law from Eatonton was also there. When we arrived the ladies welcoming the cars stopped us and I had gone to school with one of the ladies. While speaking with a lady on my walk at dinner, we determined that we were in college together...as in LOTS of the same classes. I KNEW she looked familiar. Also, turns out that a lady at my table has the same college degree as me- not many people can say they have a degree in mental retardation, but we do. Of course, I recognized some of the people from JEff's talking about his walk.
Jeff and I plan to work the teenager walk which is held the first weekend in June. (Babysitters, Here's your cue.) I hope to sponsor or walk the one in April. We still have some discussing to do as to which we will work- Rock Eagle or Mt. Moriah. Either way, we will give back in some way.
Noone has cameras at the walk. It just would not be appropriate. I do have a group picture on my phone. I will upload it when I get home. My work computer, where I am now, does not read my iphone. And for those of you gasping thinking I took my phone, I did not! I just used my phone when I got home to take a picture of the picture that they gave us. I did not cheat at all.
Again, if you ever get invited- PACK YOUR BAGS! You won't regret it.
I am forever indebted to Charles and Diane for sponsoring us.
Tuesday, October 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comments:
How wonderful for you Jan. I can already feel the peace and love you have in your heart. With God everything is better! I hope you got one of the ceramic blow dryers, they are suppose to keep your hair from frizzing. I just bought one. love you! ac
Post a Comment