A few months back I was invited to join a local chapter of Delta Kappa Gamma.
The Delta Kappa Gamma Society International is a professional honorary Society of women educators. The Society promotes professional and personal growth of its members and excellence in education.
The induction ceremony was held at Rock Eagle Chapel last Thursday. When we pulled up I heard Mama say, “darn, I forgot it was hat day!”
Uhm, hat day? What in the world. I looked around ladies were all gussied up in these old fashioned church hats. All shapes, sizes, colors, some not even hats at all- just fake flower arrangements. A hoot!
Mama quickly told me they only do this at induction. I didn't wear a hat for induction, but they made me for the picture. It was a very nice ceremony much like a pledge ceremony to any other sorority.
The chapter is Morgan, Jasper, and Putnam counties, and here is the Putnam group. Anyone recognize the Mexican rancher on the front row? See why we don’t wear hats in our family?!
It is an honor to be a part of this organization. We ended with a delicious meal and a meeting. In this pic alone there are SO many influential ladies.
Front row:
Nancy Marshall- Such a sweet lady. Retired. Served in Service League with me and always helped me when I was president. She and her husband do so much for our town.
Mama- I’d say she has had some influence on me, wouldn’t you? She was actually my mentor for DKG and pinned me during the ceremony.
Me-
Robin ALlen- HS SS teacher. I take notes to this day just like she gave them. (bulleted form, if you are wondering.) I taught one of her sons and had the other one in BETA club. Such neat boys who have so much knowledge.
Geni Specht-My fav Science teacher ever. I learned SO much from her. I also remember having the highest average in Advanced Sciences my Sr year in her class. (I NEVER had the highest average in anything, so I must have liked her class a lot!)
Back Row- Holly Parker, Carol Williams- I never had these two as teachers, but Mama has traveled the globe with them. Carol was one of Todd’s BFF’s mom. He broke his thumb at her house in the coolest treehouse ever.
Dottie McClain- NEver taught me, but she taught Todd. He LOVED her class. He learned so much from her .I cleaned her house in college and even dog-sat for her. You know she is special if I DOG- sat! She hosted a wedding shower for me, too. In fact, Dottie gave me lost of odd jobs- once I held a yard sale for her and twice I cooked and hosted cast parties for some plays she was in. (Apparently, Dottie is VERY influential- she got me to do all the things I don’t enjoy: clean, cook, yard sale, and dogs.) She is such a sweet lady.
Pamelia Swymer- Never taught me, but she taught 3rd grade across from Gertie Layson (my class) when I was in 3rd grade. I also cleaned her house once in college when she was on the Tour of Homes. Her granddaughter and Jade are close in age, too. Her family is so sweet and I just love them all.
Amelia McMullen- When I started teaching, I was assigned 2 mentors. (I guess the principal thought i needed lots of help.) Amelia is one of them. She guided me through those first 3 years with lots of grace and love. I am forever grateful for her wisdom and guidance.
Cathy Mize- Another of Todd’s teachers. He enjoyed her class, too. In fact, she was one of a few teachers who could really make him mind. SHe is now retired, too. I served in Service League with her and taught with her a few years, too. She is VERY smart and I always enjoy her. She traveled with Mama and her buddies to the West Coast once. It was one of Mama’s fav trips.
Connie Cole- I never worked with or had Connie for a teacher, but she has had a HUGE influence on me. She was on the committee that awarded me my college scholarship. At the time, I was a senior in HS and apparently VERY naive. I had to interview in front of like a 15 person panel (teachers, principals, superintendent). The BOE office was PACKED with applicants. I would say at least 30 people. I never prepared for the interview, never got nervous, never got concerned that there were 30 other applicants, nothing. THat is totally not like me. Connie and the rest of the committee awarded me the scholarship and I am forever grateful. My parents should thank them, too. I had a FULL RIDE to college- books and supplies, too. WOW, just WOW! Now, if only my girls can do the same. (I still can’t grasp that I got a full ride to college!)
Last but certainly not least- Gerrye Jenkins! She is the motherload of influence. (Well, maybe behind Mama.) She is my hands down all time favorite teacher. (DJ SHeppard gets some recognition, too, but this is only a sorority, so he can’t join.) Mrs. Jenkins was my elementary gifted teacher. Her energy level is higher than Jeff’s. Yes, you read that right- WAY above Jeff’s. She ALWAYS had creative lessons, activties, and trips. The impact she has had on the youth of this county is not measurable. I could go on and on. I wrote her a letter when I was late in my 20s thanking her for being so great. When Todd won STAR student, she was his pick for STAR teacher. I was not even close to winning STAR student, but she would have been mine, too.





0 comments:
Post a Comment