Over the years I have been blessed with over 20 student teachers. I have developed a rapport with the college and they always send me someone great. Some years I have juniors who just come for a few weeks 2 days a week, and other years I get a senior who is placed full time for most of the year.
Last summer, I received an email from my a college student informing me that she was assigned to my class that for this year. We set a date to meet before school started and that was that….so I thought. We met at the school in late July and within an hour we had already rearranged the classroom.
As we left from that first meeting I realized this girl was special. We said hello and literally went right to business. It was like we had known each other forever. We became Facebook friends and I stalked visited her page. I learned that she had traveled abroad a few times and she liked to have a good time- always behaving. (a rarity with college kids- ya know)
As school started, we became fast friends and she was literally like my right hand. During pre-planning and the first days of school she took initiative and got tasks completed without instruction. She was smart and gifted with a knack for teaching, and it showed. My students fell in love right away.
As the fall progressed, she taught a lesson about Shona art that we were required to teach. She created a lesson that I will NEVER forget. She used the Promethean Board and Google Earth and took the students on a field trip to Zimbabwe. I invited the principal in to watch. In 14 years, I have never invited the superintendant to my room, but I called him to watch that day. Incredible! This was just one of a jillion lessons that were awesome.
Tori and I had so much in common; we were friends, and I liked it.
Last Friday was a day I had been dreading. It was Tori’s last day in my classroom. I know that we will stay in touch, but I also know that she will get a job a couple hours away, life will get busy, and we won’t see each other much. Reality stinks!
I took a few pictures of Tori in her last days with our class. She made a HUGE impact on my students and has challenged me to be a better teacher. I am forever grateful!
Ms. McClanahan and two more bookworms- These 3 share a love for reading that is unmatched!
The glasses- The gifted class put her up to that. So fun!
Oh, I will miss her so! It was sad to make the classroom pot of coffee this morning and only make it for me. Her desk is empty and looks so sad. However, Tori is about to embark on her teaching career. Thousands of students, some not even born yet, will be treated to her wonderful knowledge, creativity, and gift of teaching. How blessed they are! And, how blessed I have been to have spent this year with such a wonderful young woman.





1 comments:
I am sure she would say the very same about you!!!
Post a Comment