Each year, my students in the Gifted/ AP class compete in National History Day. We are pretty well known for dominating the Junior Division at regionals. This year did not disappoint. This project is our biggest task of the year, and I am VERY picky about it. Apparently, something works, because we competed with the opportunity for 12 awards and we came home with 11. Our students were SO proud.
Each year when we start the project, I tell the students that they will be days of frustration, their feelings may get hurt, a few tears may be shed, BUT in the end, they will go to competition and will be proud to stand by their project. I am convinced that if they had given more awards, we would have won those, too. I mean, no one even held a candle to our projects.
After the interviews, but before awards, two students walked over and said, “Thank you. You pushed us and pushed us and you told us we would be proud, and we are. “ Aww, made it all worth while. This post may sound like I crack a whip. Basically, these are really awesome kids who will rise up and meet your expectations. They desire to please, so it’s not really very brutal. It’s just a LOT of hard work and research that is far above any level they have ever seen before now.
We compete with 7th and 8th graders. I teach 7th grade and a co-worker teaches our 8th graders. I worked with those 8th graders last year, so they are my students, too.
I could not have had such success if not for the MOST AWESOME TORI. She is the biggest help. I was so glad that she got to with us and see the fruits of our labor.
So, April 30, we will head for STATE competition in Macon. I think we will have some winners there, too.





1 comments:
For every great student is a great teacher!! Great job Jan!! love ac
Post a Comment