After we went to Babyland General, Jenna asked me to get mine down from upstairs. Admittedly, they are a bit ratty looking from years of being in the attic, and many more years of rugged play, but here they are:
Abigail: I got Abigail for Christmas in 1st grade. Mama’s friend Joy made this doll. She is still in her original dress. (minus the bottoms) She has a few drops of chocolate ice cream on her, too. This would have been 1981.
No Name: This is actually Nonni’s doll. Nonni made this one. Impressive huh? She sat on the bed for many years, and was never played with. She only looks rough from being in the attic. She, too, is in her original clothes. In fact, she has never been out of her original clothes.
Adele Jenny: I called her Jenny. This was my first Cabbage Patch. I got her 3rd quarter of 3rd grade for making all As on my report card. You see, CPKs were SO hard to get that Christmas. I think people were killed trying to buy them. Nonni was NOT the type to run down anyone over a doll, so I did without a doll on Christmas, and got one a few months later when report cards came out. (Picture it: nonni lined up at 4am waiting on the doors to open to get a doll- NOT! hahahahaha) In fact, Joy found Jenny. I harassed my teacher regularly to make sure my grades were staying high enough to get this doll. That was 1984, and I still have the doll, so I’d say it was worth it.
Bruce Wyatt: I got Bruce for Christmas 1984. 4th grade was the year that I got EVERYTHING Cabbage Patch. In fact, both of these dolls are STILL today wearing diapers from that Christmas morning. The Macs actually gave me Bruce. I wanted a bald headed boy.
The funny thing is that I changed my dolls clothes over and over and over and over, but all 4 of these dolls have ended up in their original clothes. I have no idea how that happened.
Now for the sad part: I did not keep Jenna’s Cabbage Patch doll.
Sad part 2: At press time Todd’s doll, Lightening, made by Nonni is missing. It has been sighted in recent years, and we suspect he is living in Oregon with his rightful owner.





0 comments:
Post a Comment